Social Worker Jobs: How to Make the Right Decision?
There are a number of social worker jobs, but what do these people actually do? Their main function is to assist people in coping with everyday challenges.
A wide range of career options in social work allows you to choose a social worker career
suitable to your personal interests and goals in life. You can also consider the group of people you would like to assist as well as the preferable work environment before making a choice.
The data provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) show that the social worker salary and average annual profit is the following, according to the specialization areas:
- School, Child, and Family: $48,430
- Healthcare: $56,810
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health: $47,830
- Various other areas: $47,980
What do Social Workers Do?
Usual duties in social worker jobs can include:
- provision of counseling in the area of mental health to families, groups, and individuals by a clinical social worker
- making initial assessment analysis
- discussing the issues with different teams
- ensuring interventions in case of crises
- reference of the clients to suitable treatment centers
- making sure that that there is strict compliance of the records and case files to the procedures, regulations and policies
- ensuring the continuous care of patients via the coordination between treatment planning and maintenance of the communication with the outpatient providers
- participation in the trainings to comply with the credential policies and certification standards
The social workers duties imply full-time work, or even work on holidays, weekends, and overtime sessions. According to the prediction of the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the social worker job outlook is positive and the employment growth in the area of social work, especially in the fields of mental health and health care, will be faster in 2026 than that of other jobs.
Should I be a social worker? Why?
You know how to become a social worker, but are you sure that it is your calling in life? Below you can see ten top reasons why people usually opt for a career in the field of social work.
- You enjoy being with people. You have excellent skills to be a social worker if you are interested in providing help at the individual level or in general.
- You have experienced abuse, addictions, or other hardships, or you have had such a person in your surrounding, and now you want to share your experience and help others cope with a problem.
- You are interested in social worker jobs as your work will be related to community organization, mental health problems, poverty, and other crucial issues.
- You are eager to work with vulnerable groups of population: elderly people, mentally challenged people, children, and others.
- You know that you are good at crisis situations when the environment is fast-paced and there are a lot of tasks to be solved.
- You try to learn how to become a social worker because you want to get a flexible career and work in the ever-changing settings, having different challenges and goals to achieve. However, your ultimate goal is to serve the common good.
- Your main priority is helping people with the focus on turning the world into a better place.
Social Worker Job Description: Training, Education, and Licensing
College education is a must for a social worker. With a bachelor’s degree, you can do an entry-level job, but certain jobs may require a M.S.W. (Master’s Degree in Social Work). A career of a clinical social worker demands an advanced M.S.W. degree.
You can ask, “What does a social worker do?” to understand which skills are necessary for a social worker. They are the following:
- Ability to listen. Meeting the clients, you give them your full attention.
- Orientation at the service. Your interest is helping others.
- Verbal communication. You are the one who provides information to your clients, their families, and other co-workers.
- Interpersonal skills. You will connect to people using your social skills.
- Time management. You will have a lot to do, having limited time.
- Organizational skills. One of the reasons to choose a career in social work is to bring order.
- Critical thinking. Finding alternative solutions will be your everyday job.